Thursday, November 1, 2018

Talk to Me Thursday! It's Funny You're Partially Blind!

FAILING TO FAIL!
Joseph Brann
           For this “Talk to Me Thursday!” post I’ll be telling you about some of my experiences with being partially blind. So the peripheral vision I once had in my right eye is completely gone and some of the peripheral vision I used to have in my left eye is gone too but I don’t really notice the loss in vision in my left eye very much. So it’s safe to say my right eye is much more visually impaired than my left. My vision has been described as tunnel vision. This lack of vision, especially in my right eye, is one of the reasons I don’t drive and has caused me to walk into people quite often in public and I’ve also been ATTACKED by several stationary objects, such as walls, doors, tables, chairs, and the list goes on and on. Those freakin’ stationary object just won’t stop picking on me! Ha! But on more than one occasion, after I’ve walked into someone because of my limited vision, I’ll say something like, “Oh sorry, I’m partially blind.” Many times the person I walked into and’ve just told I’m partially blind will laugh.

  I assume they think I’m joking. After they’ve laughed, I’ll usually sarcastically say “Well, I guess it’s funny that I’m visually impaired.” or something along those lines and I will laugh too. They then apologize and I’ll tell them it’s no problem and their laughing didn’t bother me. Maybe their laughing is more of an uncomfortable laugh as in they don’t really know how to respond to the knowledge of my being partially blind. But, as I think about it, if you’re not partially blind and you walk into someone and say, “Oh sorry, I’m partially blind.” that really isn’t very funny. And I know funny cause, let’s face it, I’m a funny man, ha! I mean, did you catch that sentence I recently said about being ATTACKED by stationary object? Now that’s some funny stuff worth a laugh, haha! Anyway, it really doesn’t bother me when someone laughs because they think I’m joking when I say I’m partially blind, I just think their laughing is interesting and a little funny in and of itself. Maybe not “laugh out loud” funny, but still funny! Anyway, being partially blind isn’t much fun, but being able to laugh at yourself, even if because you’re partially blind, is something I think can be a good thing and make life much more bearable and fun even, what do YOU think? Until reading my next blog and even after, remember keep FAILING TO FAIL! 

No comments:

Post a Comment